Students whose parent(s), carer(s), guardians(s) or students who get benefits payments directly, instead of through a parent or guardian are eligible for free school meals if they receive one of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part IV of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax Credit only (provided you are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and your annual income does not exceed £16,190)
- Pension Credit Guarantee
- Universal Credit
- Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit).
The school meal consists of a main meal and a dessert at lunchtime.
Signing up for free school meals does not mean that your child must have a school meal five days a week. You can choose to provide a packed lunch on some days, if you prefer.
How to I apply
Applications are made direct to Hertfordshire Education Benefits Team. Please be aware that the Benefits Team will require your National Insurance Number to process the application.
- Telephone: Telephone the Educational Benefits Team on 0300 123 4048 (Monday – Friday : 8.00am to 8.00pm, Saturday: 9.00am to 4.00pm)
- Online: Go to www.hertsdirect.org/freeschoolmeals. This is easiest way to apply. It takes few minutes to complete the application. You will know immediately if your application has been successful and Westfield Academy will be informed at the same time.