- We value all pupils equally
- We recognise the range of cultures and backgrounds from which our pupils emanate
- We wish to play our part in helping pupils to develop intellectually, emotionally, physically, and socially.
- We seek to develop the diverse talents and abilities of all our pupils and to encourage them to value themselves and their place in our school community.
- We believe in the entitlement of all pupils to a broad balanced and relevant curriculum.
- We believe that provision for children with special educational needs should be made as part of a collaborative process which takes into account the views of pupils, parents and teachers.
- We seek to develop lively enquiring minds in our pupils and to help them towards knowledge, understanding, and skills relevant to life in a fast changing world.
- We believe that ALL children should be challenged to achieve independence, as far as possible, in their life and work.
What we do
- Learning support work may be with individuals or groups, outside or within the classroom context according to need.
- A year 7 Transition class is provided to offer extra support to those pupils who may require this.
- Support resources are allocated according to: Pupils’ statements of special educational needs; requests for support from bject teachers; Learning Support assessment of need and finally, taking into account pupil and parental views.
- A Support Timetable and Provision plans are drawn up and revised regularly and in accordance with need.
- Individual and group reading and literacy programmes take place during Form Periods.
- Homework /Haven Club are provided by the Learning Support Department.
- All Departments in their schemes of work make provision for a broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated curriculum for all pupils.
- Learning Support provides for examination consideration and support as deemed necessary in both school and public examinations.
External School Links
The Academy makes full use of many outside agencies including:
Chessbrook Education Centre ,Educational Psychology, School Nurse, Speech and Language, Teacher of the Deaf, Specialist teachers for Sensory and Communication Needs, Connexions, Counselling and Traveller Education.